Then & Now (locations), 3rd Series.
The Archive Image 02-92 shown above left has now been identified. It had long puzzled us. It is not in Italy but in Ohrid, Macedonia. It matches the description of a regatta held in Ohrid in June 1935 (H. P. Thompson. "Far South in Serbia". The Gardeners' Cronicle. Oct 1935. p. 304). The local sailing club kindly confirmed our suspicions and sent the almost identical “now” photograph (above right).
Photo credit: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Archive Image File Ref: 02-92.
In this remarkable comparison above, we see the transformation in the Old Bazaar Djakovica (western Kosovo) over ninety years. The camera position is exact! Right hand image of the current scene found and contributed on October 27th 2018 by local Balkan Cultural Heritage architect: Sali Shoshi. and most gratefully acknowledged.
Archive Image ref no. 03-72.
Above (top). Three images recorded by our photographer in Djakovica, on the same day in 1929.
Above (lower pair). Notice the identical minaret at about the same distance, and the widened road, in this utterly transformed scene!
Below. What we are looking at is the Old Bazaar (also known as the Çarshia e Madhe, or Grand Bazaar) in Gjakova (Djakovica), is the oldest one in Kosovo and was the heart of the economy in the city. To the left we see our archive image 03-75 from 1929. Right, the current view on the same street from the same standpoint!.
Photo credits, above and below: Sali Shoshi. Wikipedia.
Archive Image file refs: 03-72, 03-73, 03-75.
Above left we see a well stocked and busy pottery market, but also in the Town Square of Dubnitza Bulgaria in 1929. To the right, the same scene as it is today.
Archive Image file ref: 01-52
This is really quite subtle detective work by our researcher colleague Gregor Murbach. On the above left of our archive image 01-71, we see the town square in Bansko Bulgaria as it was in 1929. Now focus your attention on the central building in this image. The two chimneys behind the telegraph pole, the two small black first floor windows. The horizontal runs of darker brickwork in the first floor elevation. It's the same building as on the right above, and below, but now facing onto an utterly transformed and rather empty open area. Interestingly, this house at the center of both images is now a museum: the "Museum House" Nikola Vaptsarov. See Below! Furthermore, the Bansko Tourist Office (on the far right hand of the image above) is now housed in the former hotel (the far right building in our original photograph). Picture Credit: sunlightsa/Google
Archive Image file ref: 01-71.
Here above center is Bansko Town Square in the 1930's, almost unrecognizeable now in the two recent images, due to the compete modernization and redevelopment.The central building in the left foreground of our image has long gone.
Credit 1: Fotis Tsiridis / Google. Credit 2: Google.Archive Image file ref: 01-58.
One needs to look carefully at these two images above and the enlarged one below. It is actually the town of Dupnitsa (Dupnica) in Bulgaria. On the left hand image above, notice the central four-floor building with the semicircular roof canopy? Just right of center, six windows on two upper floors in front elevation. But now look closely at the recent image on the right, behind the folded green street umbrella. It is the same building, but ninety years later, and now completely built up and submerged! We show a close up view of the building below. Right hand image credit: Google.
Archive Image file ref: 01-57.
The ancient stone bridge, Rijeka Crnojevica, Montenegro, as in 1929 (left image).
Rijeka Crnojevica, means "The River of Crnojevica", and is a small town in Montenegro besides the eponymous river, and near the coast of Lake Skadar.
The road over the old bridge was on the ancient trading route through Montenegro.
Image right. Credit: Richard NoakesArchive Image file ref: 03-63.
Left: The Sofia Palace (Hotel) in 1929. Ulitsa "Triaditsa", in the Bulgarian capital of Sofia. The six story building facing us at the end of the street remains unchanged, but to the right of this building it is now heavily built up (blue structure).
Right hand image credit: Google.
Archive Image file ref: 01-66.
This is the text-only version of this page. Click here to see this page with graphics.
Edit this page |
Make Your Own Website: 2-Minute-Website.com